Jonathan offers a variety of services as a teaching artist. Classes in mask performance as well as workshops in mask making have been offered to students throughout the United States and in Europe. He also offers course work in movement for actors, physical comedy, acrobatics and unarmed combat.
Some of the pre-designed workshops and lecture-performances are listed here. As with everything Jonathan does, custom workshops and residencies can be created to fit your training program or organization.
Go here for Jonathan’s current teaching resume (PDF Format)
- The Commedia dell’Arte
- Character Mask
- Character Half-Mask
- Theatre Clown/Physical Comedy
- The Mask Intensive
- Neutral Mask
- Larval Mask
Hey Punch! Where’s Judy?: The Living Masks:
Introduces the Commedia dell’Arte as a 21st Century form of expression.
Behind The Mask:
Introduces the audience to the living sculpture of the theatre mask. Comedy masks of The Commedia dell’Arte, Masks in the style of The Swiss Carnival of Balle, and full-face expressive masks, all created by the lecturer, are demonstrated.
The Actor; Architect of the Empty Space:
Addresses the pedagogical approach of The International School of Theatre Jacques Lecoq and the importance of mask and movement training.
Students learn how to create the living sculpture of a theatre mask.
The Movement Lab:
Physical training for the actor following the techniques developed by Jacques Lecoq and Jerzy Grotowski. Simple acrobatics, strength and flexibility training, falls, breath and focusing exercises, the plastiques, the corporals and pantomime techniques.
Jonathan has worked as an artist in residence, teaching mask-work and physical theatre for:
- The Theatre Conservatory at Webster University
- Washington University, St. Louis
- Ball State University
- The Baltimore School for the Arts
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- The University of Richmond
- The University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- The MFA in Actor Created Physical Theatre at Naropa University
- The Theatre Conservatory at Roosevelt University
- The University of Colorado BFA Program
- Hiram College
- Miami University
- The Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park Apprentice Program
- The College of Wooster
- Le Centre des Arts Sevran, France
- The Houston School for the Visual and Performing Arts
- The New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts
- The Boston School for the Performing Arts
- The Rey Schule, Ebikon, Switzerland
- The Zwischenbhune Theater, Luzern Switzerland
- Shaker Heights High School
- The Cleveland School of the Arts
- The Rhode Island School of Design
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- The Brown/Trinity Rep Consortium
- The University of Virginia,
- Oslo University College, Oslo, Norway
- Denison University
- The Park School of Baltimore
- Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Click here for Jonathan’s teaching resume (PDF Format)